Translate

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Nutritious Fudge?

Well, maybe it's not totally nutritious, but it sure has one healthier ingredient.  Can you guess?  How about pinto beans?

I found this recipe around 30 years ago. I believe it was a newspaper clipping I kept.  It was at a time when I was looking for how to get more fiber in the family's diet, and what better way than with beans?  I tried this recipe, not telling anyone how I made it. Can you imagine the kids going, "Eeeewwww!" No one knew any difference from any other fudge. This fudge tastes really good, looks fantastic, takes very little time to set up and doesn't require any cooking at all.  All you need is a strong food processor to get the beans nice and smooth and an electric mixer.

Nutritious, Delicious Fudge

Nutritious, Delicious Fudge
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed well
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioners’ sugar
2 cups pecans or walnuts, chopped


Spoon the beans into an electric food processor; process until completely smooth.  Add the cocoa, butter and vanilla and blend until well mixed and beans are totally pureed.  Place the confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl.  Add the bean mixture.  Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes.  Stir in the pecans or walnuts.  Pour into a buttered 9 x 13-inch pan and refrigerate until set.

I made this fudge just this morning and took photos this afternoon.  I added nuts to half the recipe, and left the other half plain.  I have not fiddled with the recipe, because it is really good.  However, I do believe that since there is a whole tablespoon of vanilla in there, some of that could be swapped out for other flavors, such as orange, or mint.  Nuts could be changed out.  Pistachios might be good with some almond flavoring.  Raisins or craisins could be added in, also. Try it out, just as written the first time, just to get the feel of it.  Then, have fun with all kinds of flavor variations.



My passion is to teach people how to create a harmony of flavors with their cooking, and help pass along my love and joy of food, both simple and exotic, plain or fancy. I continue my journey in ethnic and domestic cuisines, trying new things weekly. Join me at A Harmony of Flavors on Facebook and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus