A Harmony of Flavors

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Not Everything Turns out Great

I just posted a recipe on my website for little Anise Cookies that my Grandma used to make. I have made them before, and they turned out great. I altered the way the recipe was made and they turned out all wrong. 

Well, maybe not all wrong. They taste fantastic, and just like I remember.  I have seen these little cookies on the internet. They form a cookie base and a puffed meringue-like top. They seem to be German recipes, in general, though my Grandmother was from Slovakia. I never actually saw my Grandma make these cookies, though they were there served often when we visited. I have made these in the past, as I said, but I saw a recipe out there somewhere and its directions were different. I tried to adapt the directions to my recipe and that's where things went a little wrong.

Not quite the Anise Cookies I recall
The cookies are made and the batter dropped onto greased cookie sheets and left to dry for 12 to 18 hours before baking. I  knew I was in trouble when I dropped the batter and there was no spreading at all. They stayed put just like I left them. Rather than coming out into pretty little rounds with a smooth top, I got a lot of very irregular cookies and hardly a smooth top in the bunch. 

I have been baking for a long time, and this just goes to show that you never know how altering a recipe will change things. I used all the ingredients, in the amounts called for, but something about the method for mixing was all off, at least for this recipe. I am going to remake them and see whether doing it the right way gives better results. It's been a long while since I made them.

I like anise seeds in things like these cookies, plus they are great for digestion. So many people really do not care for anise however, so that is partially why I haven't made these for a long time. Stay tuned. I will be trying them again really soon. I want photos of these that would make Grandma proud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment