Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Please Enjoy My February 2017 Newsletter

*|MC:SUBJECT|*
A Harmony of Flavors February 2017 Newsletter
View this email in your browser
Happy Valentine's Day, Friend.

This month begins a busy time for A Harmony of Flavors. Starting with creating some new appetizers for a Re/Max Preferred Choice Open House on February 12th, at the end of the month will mark the first meeting to precede the annual Winefest Renaissance, sponsored by the Boys and Girls Club of Aberdeen, SD on April 8th, this year. A Harmony of Flavors will be making appetizers to pair with selected wines for this event, just as we have for the past 4 years.

Last month, in my premiere Newsletter, I attached a bonus recipe. While it was not a new or original recipe, there are so many things that can be done with pound cake. One of them is using leftovers to make a bread pudding, one of my favorite desserts! On January 21st, I blogged about using the leftovers from my pound cake (under the title "Because We all Need Another Dessert") and made a recipe for bread pudding, which was spectacular. Read about that here. Being softer, the cake made the pudding more "pudding like" and with less texture than when made with a French bread. It was delightful.

Please check "A Harmony of Flavors" website and "A Harmony of Flavors" blog site, continually being updated with new recipes. There is a lot to choose from!
CLICK HERE for a Bonus Recipe!
From 2013 . . .

I took a few ideas and put them all together to create some really spectacular cupcakes for my best Valentine, my Husband! I grant you, these were a labor of love, and certainly not for those so pressed for time. Still, they are doable, and they were spectacular. The flavors I settled on were Pistachio Cream for the filling, and Strawberry Rosewater for the Icing. The cupcakes themselves were hearty, and flavored with Sweet Potato and Cardamom. Altogether a magnificent looking mixture that carried through on flavor. Divided over two blog posts, click these links: "A Valentine Labor of Love" and "Filled, Frosted Cupcakes." This is a recipe worth revisiting.
Has Anyone Heard of Peppadews?

Peppadews are little peppers so unique that the name is registered! Only discovered in 1993 in South Africa, they are only a tiny bit spicy, and wonderful used both in salad type dishes or filled, as I did a couple years ago. My cheese filling is delicious, but any number of possibilities for fillings abound. Anything used as a filling would have to be very fine, or finely minced. The little peppers are no bigger than a cherry tomato and difficult to fill. Read more . . .
After living in Guatemala for 12 years, I had fallen in love with the cuisine there and came back to the States having learned a lot of their cooking and methods. When my oldest daughter turned 40, I created a cookbook/memoir for her with all the recipes I had for foods from Guatemala. She was 10 years old when we moved to the US, and remembered both the food and the language best of my 4 children. The fact that she returned there for a couple of years later on, meant she stayed in touch with all things Guatemala. While I had not made all the foods I listed in that cookbook, some were still on my to do list. I tried once many years ago, to make Guatemalan style Chiles Rellenos, but it was not the best effort. I was not happy with the results, and somehow never got back to that recipe until last month. This time, they were perfectly as I remembered them. All that was missing was the really fresh, homemade, patted out by hand, corn tortillas cooked on a comal. Sigh... Read more here . . .
Fenugreek as Herb, Spice and Vegetable

I love finding new spices or herbs to work with, eagerly searching out anything new (to me).

Fenugreek just happens to wear many hats. As seeds (used as a spice), I most often use them in Indian cooking. Their immediate scent is of maple syrup, though they are rather bitter. The Indian cuisines also use the herb of the fenugreek plant, both as fresh leaves (vegetable) or dried (herb). I have not had access to the leaves of the fresh herb, but the dried leaves are available in Indian or International markets, marketed as "Kasoori Methi." Read a little in my website, here, or much more in my blog article titled, "Fenugreek as Herb, Spice and Vegetable."
Happy Valentine's Day 2017. I hope you will visit all my sites and try some new (or old) recipes, learn something new about an herb or spice or other subject, or maybe just daydream. However it is accomplished, I endeavor to provide articles of interest. Not everyone cooks these days, due to time constraints. I did cook meals for my family back when I had 4 youngsters and worked 2 jobs, so I know it can be done, though it requires some real attention to detail. Many of my recipes are created now that I am retired and have extra time on my hands, yet many are easy and quick.
Please forward this newsletter to any friends who may find my stories, articles and recipes of interest. Subscribe to this Newsletter by hitting the Subscribe Button below. Follow me on Facebook, check out my A Harmony of Flavors website, and A Harmony of Flavors blog. Find all my food (and lots of other) photos on Pinterest at AHOFpin.
Facebook
Pinterest
Twitter
Website
Share
Tweet
Forward
Copyright © *|CURRENT_YEAR|* *|LIST:COMPANY|*, All rights reserved.
*|IFNOT:ARCHIVE_PAGE|* *|LIST:DESCRIPTION|*

Our mailing address is:
*|HTML:LIST_ADDRESS_HTML|* *|END:IF|*

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

*|IF:REWARDS|* *|HTML:REWARDS|* *|END:IF|*

Disqus