Translate

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Healthy Recipes for the New Year

I may have mentioned that my husband and I have been on a healthy eating regimen for the last half year. Between us both, we have shed 100 pounds, and still have lots to go. In order to accomplish this, we have not been counting calories, nor have we been tightly following any of the popular diet crazes that exist just now.

My philosophy is that all we need is to reduce the amount of processed foods to almost none. This means no boxes or packages of "helpers," use very few cans, and preferably those with either 50% less or no salt. I limit cans to corn (which we eat rarely, due to the high amount of corn already found in our diets these days), tomatoes (paste, sauce, diced), and some beans (VERY well rinsed). I do occasionally use mushrooms from cans, but more often I just cook fresh mushrooms, or use dried and reconstituted.  I make things from scratch at least 95% of the time. And lots and lots of vegetables, very little bread, and only made from freshly ground wheat or rye, with no butter on it. My philosophy says that if the bread isn't good enough to eat without butter, then it's not good bread. We eat fruit, in small portions.

A couple of standby meals for us have been vegetable soup and one of many different takes on a Tarka (or Tadka) Dal. After trying a few recipes from my cookbooks and one from vegrecipesofindia.com, I started improvising and making my own mixtures. These can be as simple or as complex as you choose to make them.

Vegetable Soup, vegetables, flavors
Everything But the Kitchen Sink Vegetable Soup

I made a pot of vegetable soup today, as we have both been feeling so over stuffed as to be uncomfortable. My vegetable soups are made with whatever is on hand at any given time. Sometimes I have more ingredients in the fridge, and sometimes I am running low. My method is to use as many non-starchy vegetables as possible, and then using a handful or so of some whole grain such as long-cooking barley. Other times I toss in a handful or two of some of the Indian lentils (Masoor Dal, Toor Dal, Moong Dal, etc). These thicken the soup slightly, and are filling, while at the same time giving a nice dose of complex carbs. I usually start out with a good stock that I have made previously, but even starting with a pot of water works. I use about 6 to 8 cups of stock or water. And after that, it is all up to what is available. 

Everything But the Kitchen Sink Vegetable Soup


Serves 4 - 6 (or 2 people, for various days of lunches)


Everything but the Kitchen Sink Vegetable Soup
Everything But the Kitchen Sink
Vegetable Soup
These are things I most always use, and make up the basis of the flavors:
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 2 - 4 minced cloves of garlic
  • 1 - 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
  • 1 - 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 - 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
  • pinch saffron
  • 1 bay leaf
And then these are additions that can be added in, depending on what's in the fridge, and what you are in the mood for. I never use everything on the list at one time:
  • 1 cup cauliflower (grated, as my husband can't see it that way!)
  • 1 - 1½ cups chopped cabbage
  • 1 cup chopped fresh green beans
  • 1 cup chopped fresh sugar snap peas
  • 1 cup cubed winter squash, peeled
  • 1 cup cubed zucchini
  • 2 handfuls baby spinach
  • 2 cups chopped kale
  • ¼ - ⅓ cup long-cooking barley
  • ¼ cup red lentils (masoor dal), split pigeon peas (toor dal) or split mung beans (moong dal)
  • tomatoes, chopped
  • cilantro, chopped
  • parsley, chopped
If I missed anything on your "favorite vegetables" list, you can add or substitute. I avoid potatoes, as they are mainly gratuitous starch. I salt the soup at the end of the cooking time, and sparingly. 


Toor Dal, Tomatoes, Spinach, Indian lentils
Toor Dal with Tomatoes & Spinach
I mentioned the lentil dishes I have been making, and they are pretty much a staple also, as they are great complex carbs, and add protein to our diet. I make a good sized pot of these lentils, and again, use them over a two - three day period, for lunch. I cook one day, and then have food for the next two. This gives me time to do other tasks on the off days, such as writing this blog! This Dal recipe is quite simple, but extremely flavorful.


Toor Dal with Tomatoes & Spinach

Serves 4 to 6
Toor Dal, Tomatoes, Spinach, Indian lentils
Toor Dal with Tomatoes & Spinach

1 cup Toor Dal (split pigeon peas)
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 Serrano pepper, minced (eliminate seeds for less heat, or add more chilies for more heat)
----- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 dry red chili pepper, whole
12 curry leaves (murraya koenigii) 
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
3 ounces spinach (or substitute kale)
 

Rinse the lentils repeatedly, until the water runs off clear. Place them into a pot with at least 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. The lentils will produce a thick scum, which should be skimmed off. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add in the tomatoes, turmeric and the Serrano pepper and allow the lentils to cook for about 40 minutes, while preparing the flavorings. 

In a skillet, heat the ghee or oil until very hot. Add in the mustard seeds, and if the oil was hot enough, they will begin sputtering and popping all over the place. Cover the pan, shaking it to keep the mustard seeds moving until they slow down considerable, similarly to popcorn. Remove lid and add in, stirring, the cumin seeds, the dried chili pepper and the curry leaves. Saute for about 1 minutes, then add in the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes. Add this mixture to the cooked lentils along with the spinach and the salt and stir well. Serve with rice, preferably whole grain rice.



My passion is teaching people how to create a harmony of flavors with their cooking, and passing along my love and joy of food, both simple or exotic, plain or fancy. I continue my journey in ethnic and domestic cuisines, continuing my journey to explore diverse culinary experiences and hopefully to start you on a journey of your own. Join me also at A Harmony of Flavors on Facebook, and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus