Translate

Monday, January 21, 2013

On a Pomegranate Kick

I have been on a pomegranate kick. I had never even bought one in my life until last week. I tasted some once a few years ago, but somehow it just never happened - that taking the plunge and getting one of my own. And this despite the fact I lived in Guatemala and had a tree in my yard. The tree didn't do well, as we were just a bit too cool where I lived, but still!

So, I got the first one and made that awesome grapefruit and pomegranate aril breakfast. And, I have had the same thing nearly every day since! Yum. That's all I can say about that. I have been eating pomegranate as a snack, too, in between. So, I was watching The Chew one day recently and I know they made a salad of fennel, supreme of oranges and pomegranate arils. It is so colorful and I just had to try something like it. I used one fennel bulb, shaved really thinly, 2 supremed oranges and a half cup of pomegranate arils.

Tossed those together and then  made a Pomegranate Orange Vinaigrette dressing:


Pomegranate Orange Vinaigrette


salad recipe, fennel bulb, orange, ponegranate
Fennel, Orange and Pomegranate Salad
3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons pomegranate juice concentrate
a pinch each of salt and pepper
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Mixed them into a jar and shook until blended, then drizzled just a little over the salad, and passed the rest at the table. Just the prettiest salad,crunchy with those little bits of sweet. Delightful.

I am going to have to really be on the lookout for things to do with pomegranates. They are not so expensive just now, here where I live, and I am taking advantage while I can.


My passion is to teach people how to create a harmony of flavors with their cooking, and help pass along my love and joy of food, both simple and exotic, plain or fancy. I continue my journey in ethnic and domestic cuisines, trying new things weekly. Join me at A Harmony of Flavors on Facebook and Pinterest.

1 comment:

  1. I have had this delicious salad and recommend it highly! It's also one of the prettiest salads you could have, winter or summer!

    ReplyDelete

Disqus