Translate

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Kale in a New Cole Slaw

I might have mentioned before how much I love cole slaw. There has hardly been a recipe I have not liked. Recently I got the idea for cole slaw with the addition of mango and radicchio, which I called Tropical Slaw. I have been using the same basic dressing ingredients, since they serve me well in cole slaw; why mess with a good thing? Changing around the slaw ingredients is where I have had some fun. 

Enter the Farmer's Market

In our small town, we do have a Farmer's Market, and I appreciate and attend every week all summer, when possible. It gives me a good chance to get in a little walking, for one thing. It is about 4½ blocks to the Farmers' Market from my house, then another 2½ blocks to my sister-in-law's house, where she is hosting my tomato and herb plants this year. It's another 4 blocks to the closest local grocery, where I usually stop for a couple of extra things on the way, then back home, another 2 blocks. This makes one big rectangle; a walk of about 13 blocks. While the Farmers' Market may not be huge, it certainly yields options for fresh produce. While these things may be available all year long in the grocery, the flavor is never the same as fresh-picked. Tomatoes are the most radical taste difference, for sure.
Our Farmers' Market: some of the many things available
Our Farmers' Market: some of the many things available

So as I was walking around the market this past week, I bought some kale, as I was going to  make myself some of the RAW Cool Cucumber Soup I last made in May. I had added kale to that recipe, and I loved how the soup came out. A friend gave me some large cucumbers and I was all set. The bunches of kale at the stand where I bought it, were just huge. I was going to puree the soup, and I just didn't need that much. The rest of the kale was left in the fridge, along with cabbage and radicchio from the last batch of Tropical Slaw I'd made. And I wondered...

A First TIme for Everything

I know kale is good raw. Empirically. I had never eaten it raw. I always put it into a stir fry or just make the kale cooked on its own. Never raw. I thought I would use some of it in a slaw recipe. I pulled out the cabbage and radicchio, along with the kale and got it all nicely shredded. The colors were lovely together. When something looks so pretty, it makes it all the more appetizing. Though with cole slaw and me, there is no problem on that score. Looking through the fridge for ideas on anything else I might add to this slaw, I thought to add my Pickled Mustard Seeds to the slaw dressing. Then I saw the pickled onions I had leftover from making Bread and Butter Pickles recently. I added a healthy dose of those to the slaw. These onions are yellow, because of the turmeric in the Bread and Butter Pickle recipe. I could have as easily used the Pickled Red Onions

Kale, Radicchio, Slaw, Pickled Onions
Kale Radicchio Slaw with Pickled Onions
Once the slaw was done, I ate a healthy portion for my dinner. It is so delicious. If you happen to have these ingredients on hand, or choose to get them, do try this recipe. I think next time I will add a larger ratio of kale to the mix. It was that good. If you are a cole slaw fan, try this. Even without the added pickled mustard seeds, though I do believe the pickled onions make a wonderful addition.

Kale and Radicchio Cole Slaw with Pickled Onions


Makes 10 cups (which shrinks down considerably)
Kale, Radicchio, Slaw, Pickled Onions
Kale Radicchio Slaw with Pickled Onions


4 cups shredded cabbage
2 cups shredded kale
2 cups shredded radicchio
½ cup Pickled Onions (red or yellow)

DRESSING:
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup cider vinegar
3 packets Stevia
2 tablespoons Pickled Mustard Seeds
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Toss together the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients to combine. Pour the dressing over all the shredded vegetables in the bowl and toss repeatedly, until the dressing has reached all the vegetables.

This slaw still tastes great after 4 days, though it looks its best right after mixing.



My passion is teaching people how to create a harmony of flavors with their cooking, and passing along my love and joy of food, both simple or exotic, plain or fancy. I continue my journey in ethnic and domestic cuisines, continuing my journey to explore diverse culinary experiences and hopefully to start you on a journey of your own. Join me also at A Harmony of Flavors on Facebook, and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus