Translate

Friday, October 13, 2017

Fee Fi Pho Fum - a Food Travelog

I have been gone from blogging for a few weeks. It seems like forever. As it happens, I took a trip to the Pacific northwest to visit my son and his significant other. I love mountains; have always loved mountains. Living in eastern South Dakota, the high-plains prairie, I definitely do not get to see mountains, or even all that many trees. Seeing all the trees in Seattle and the surrounding areas was wonderful, exhilarating. Seeing mountains again was positively breathtaking. 

Seattle Skyline, Ferry
Seattle Skyline from the Ferry
My son and his new love treated me like royalty, and ensured that I had the very best time possible. Food was as big a part of this trip as was the amazing and varied scenery, and just as rewarding. I feel that I absolutely must detail some of the foods I ate, because anyone reading this, who may have an opportunity to visit Seattle and the surrounding areas, might choose to search out these places and try some of the amazing foods on offer.  

Day One

The first morning there I was taken to a little place called Bistro 76 in Edmonds. We were ultimately headed to the Ferry at Edmonds, over to Sequim and Port Angeles. I ordered the Cuban Pork Hash. This is the description on the menu:
"Shock Top Braised Pork, Smoked Breakfast Potatoes, Tri-Colored Sweet Peppers, Roasted Corn, Black Beans, Pickled Red Onion, Cilantro Mustard Cream, 2 Poached Eggs & Choice of Toast"
Poblano, Relleno, Black Beans, casserole, eggs
Poblano Relleno & Black Beans etc at Tweets
Good heaven on a plate! This was one amazing breakfast. For the life of me, I cannot recall what my son and his lady ordered. All I do know is that all of it, every - single - bit, was wonderful. I highly urge anyone in that area to seek out this little place.  We wandered through the day and finally ended up at Lake Crescent Lodge in Port Angeles by supper time, and ate there. While the food was nothing specifically jaw-dropping, it was still very good. I had fish and chips. 

Day Two

Veggies, Latke, Benedict, Tweets
Veggie Latke Benedict at Tweets
The second morning, we were headed towards Whidbey Island, via Fidalgo Island and Deception Pass, but first we drove up to Edison and had breakfast at Tweets Cafe. Tweets is a tiny little hole-in-the-wall, or so it seems. But the food they serve is absolutely out of this world. After eating my breakfast I told the owner that this had been the best breakfast I had ever eaten in all of my 67 years, hands down. I wrote a note to them on Facebook also, to that effect. Their menu changes all the time, though some things apparently stay the same for a while, according to my son. The menu that day still had many of the foods he and his lady had eaten there before. There were at least 5 breakfast things on that menu that were high on the list of contenders, in my book, but I finally narrowed it down to one, with extreme difficulty. 
Brisket, Hash, Potato Bread, Egg, Tweets
Brisket Hash on Potato Bread with Egg at Tweets

Their website leaves much to be desired, but let me tell you, their menu and food make up for any lack on the website. I had a dish that was called 
"Poblano Relleno & Black Beans, Red Cabbage Slaw, Creme Fraiche & Heirloom Tomatoes"
My son had "Veggie Latke Benedict, Potato, Asparagus, Tomato, Bechamel, Fried Eggs and Micro Greens." His lady had the "Brisket Hash on Potato Bread, Sweet Pickled Onion, Horseradish Dressing & Fried Egg." OMG, these have to be tasted to be believed.


Day Three

The third day I spent in the greater Seattle area happened to be my son's 44th birthday. The plan was that I treat them to dinner, for the occasion. During the day, I was on a mission to find an idli stand. I have been wanting to try my hand at making south Indian idli, little bread-like rice and lentil dumpling puffs, made into a fermented mixture, then steamed into little "pillow shapes". It so happened that a very nice young Indian man named Pradeep sat next to me on the plane out to Seattle. I told him of my desire to try making (and eating) idli, and he laughed. He said it was a very common breakfast item where he was from (Tamil Nadu), and it was eaten with things like any of the dal recipes I have been making lately, or sambar (I had yet to make sambar, but here is a recipe I've made since, and also a recipe for idli), or any chutney or pickle. Pradeep said he currently lived in Redmond, WA, and that there were lots of Indians in that area and lots of Indian stores, groceries and restaurants.

So, off to Redmond we went that morning, and went from grocery to grocery, looking for an idli steamer stand. Not to be. However, by lunch time, with all the Indian restaurants (there were 4 in just the little strip mall we ended up in!) available, we stopped into one of them for a light lunch. Light? Ha! 
Dosa, Chicken Tikka, Tandoori Chicken
Dosa in front - Chicken Tikka & Tandoori Chicken

I found that they had dosa on the menu. Dosa, as it happens, are large crepe-like affairs that are made from leftover idli batter! I figured once I made the idli, I would also make dosa. I ordered the dosa, which came with 4 little bitty bowls of sambar, tomato chutney and coconut chutney. There was also served a plate of little bits of fried veggies. I do not have a clue what all kinds of veggies there were in that pile, but they were battered and served alongside a little bowl of a sweet hot chutney. They were awesome! My son ordered Tandoori Chicken and his lady
Overlook, Space Needle
Overlook with Space Needle
ordered Chicken Tikka and a side of garlic Naan bread.
When the food arrived, my dosa was the biggest thing imaginable! I could not believe the size of the thing. It arrived rolled up into a huge log, with its length at least 16-inches. Totally amazing. Not huge flavors on its own, but with all the little bowls of chutneys and sambar, it was incredible, as was the Chicken Tikka and Tandoori Chicken. It ended up being way more than we could or even wanted to eat, so fully half was taken home. 
Raw Oysters, Dinner, Palisade
Ken's Raw Oyster Dinner at Palisade

For dinner, we went to a place called Palisade Restaurant, "with a waterfront view of Elliot Bay." Prior to going to the restaurant, my son drove us to a lookout point with a view of greater Seattle, from where I could see the Space Needle. As it turned out, from the table we were seated at in Palisade, I had the exact same view of the Space Needle, but just from a lower vantage point. It was a beautiful view over dinner. I took photos of my son's dinner of raw oysters, but completely and totally just dug into my own plate of food with no thought of photos. I had ordered the "Chilean Sea Bass with Ginger Scallion Jasmine Rice, Watermelon Jicama Salad and Broccolini". It was so delightful that it was totally gone before I realized I never thought to photograph! His lady had ordered "Parmesan Crusted Halibut Cheeks with Cauliflower and Spinach Puree, Vegetables and Beurre Blanc." The prices seemed completely outrageous, coming to Seattle from Aberdeen, SD, but my, oh my was it ever delicious.

Mt. Rainier, Fall Color
Mt. Rainier displaying Fall Color

Day Four

Stellar's Jay, photography
Stellar's Jay
Cotes du Rhone, Red Cork Bistro
Great Cotes du Rhone at Red Cork Bistro
Food-wise, day 4 was a bit of a wash. We went to Mt. Rainier National Park, where the views were colorfully spectacular. It was not a cloudless day, but it was clear enough to make photos really pop. I did get some really great shots of Stellar's Jays along the way. I find them so striking! We were out of cell range and incommunicado for most of the day. The only food available for lunch was cafeteria stuff. But once home and getting into evening, I got hungry, so my son and I went to a local place called Red Cork Bistro, in Mukilteo for a quick dinner. We both had the same thing, a Poblano Fettucine Alfredo and a glass of a house wine that was absolutely spectacular. The wine was a Cotes du Rhone (2014 Le Clos du Caillou, Vieilles Vignes), so really just a "table wine," but its flavors hit you with cherries and pepper and made such a great pairing with the food, despite the food being "white."


Day Five

Smoked Salmon, Skillet breakfast, Salish Lodge, The Attic
Smoked Salmon Skillet at Salish Lodge
Next day we were up and out of the house early, on our way to Snoquolmie Falls, where we had breakfast at the Salish Lodge there, in the room called "The Attic." This was another breakfast to die for, though I still contend Tweets has first place in the breakfast department. I had the 
"Smoked Washington Salmon Skillet: Two Soft Poached Farm Fresh Eggs, Smoked Lox Goat Cheese, Arugula Salad, Hashed Breakfast Potatoes."
Crab, Eggs Benedict, Brioche, French Toast, breakfast
Crab Eggs Benedict & Brioche French Toast
Gelato, D'Ambrosio's
Gelato at D'Ambrosio's
I cannot even recall what my son ordered. Again, I was so smitten with the flavors of my own dish, I wasn't viewing anything far afield. But this time I did get photos. My son's lady ordered Eggs Benedict with Dungeness Crab, and let me just say, there was so much crab on that plate I could scarcely believe it! I wish so much that I was not allergic to shellfish, because that plate, by looks, was to die for. They also ordered a plate of "Brioche French Toast: Candied Hazelnut, Orange Marmalade and Whipped Cream," just to pick at and then take home. We spent the rest of that day first going to see Pete Nelson's Treehouses, to please my husband, who is a "Treehouse Masters" afficionado. After that, Pike's Market. and finally, to top off the day, we stopped at D'Ambrosio Gelato in historic Ballard for a little treat on that sunny, warm afternoon. The gelato was absolutely delightful, and I had three flavors in a cup: Pistachio, Honey Lavender and Salted Caramel, but there were lots and lots of flavors to choose from.


Day Six

Friday Harbor, Ferry
Friday Harbor by Ferry
On this last day of my vacation, I was taken to San Juan Island, leaving Anacortes on the Ferry and arriving at Friday Harbor. An absolutely beautiful island, we were driven around to sight-see by taxi. On the way back to the mainland, Mt. Baker was suddenly clear in the distance, and it was a beautiful sight to behold, the whole trip back.

After the sightseeing part of the island trip, we stopped at Cask & Schooner for lunch, where I ate a really good lamb burger. We took the ferry back to Anacortes in the afternoon, and my son's lady, who is half Hawai'ian, suggested going to a Hawai'ian restaurant called Kama'aina Grindz, in Everett, WA. Here I chose to try something called 
Mt. Baker, Ferry
Mt. Baker seen from the Ferry
"Island Style 'Pho': Huli Huli Chicken, Basil Leaves, Fresh Cilantro, Lemongrass Coconut Broth." 
Island Style, Pho, Huli Huli Chicken, Kama'aina Grindz
Island Style Pho with Huli Huli Chicken at Kama'aina Grindz
Mahi Mahi, Hoagie, Kama'aina Grindz
Mahi Mahi Hoagie at Kama'aina Grindz
My son chose a "Blackened Mahi Mahi Hoagie with spiced Guacamole and Sweet Potato Fries." His lady chose the "KG Bento Box: Kalbi Ribs, Kalua Pork, Ahi Poke, Mochiko Chicken, Sausage & Pineapple Salad." This was my first and only introduction to "Pho," pronounced "Fa." However it was made, it was just fantastically good. Sadly, that restaurant is now closed, but I came home intent on recreating this dish, and I believe I made a creditable facsimile. That recipe will be coming in another blog. 

I had the most fantastic time out there and am so very grateful for all the wonderful sights I got to see, some great Hawai'ian music I was introduced to, so many places and such great foods, and the great company, throughout. Thank you profoundly, to my son and his lady.




My passion is teaching people how to create a harmony of flavors with their cooking, and passing along my love and joy of food, both simple or exotic, plain or fancy. I continue my journey in ethnic and domestic cuisines, continuing my journey to explore diverse culinary experiences and hopefully to start you on a journey of your own. Join me also at A Harmony of Flavors on Facebook, and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus