Translate

Friday, March 16, 2018

Delicious Meatball Recipe

Ever since my husband and I started on a healthier eating regimen last year, I have looked for any way to add fiber into our diet, along with healthy carbs. Vegetables are always there in some way, and fruits, to some degree. But I have gotten into lentils and other dal-types in a big way, always adding a handful to soups, if they aren't made as a stand-alone part of a meal. Yesterday, I was thinking about meatballs. I was reading one of Mary Berry's cookbooks yesterday. (My husband got me FOUR cookbooks by Mary Berry and FOUR cookbooks by Paul Hollywood, because I was animatedly telling him about all the things I learned watching The Great British Baking Show! Making me remember the quote from Sabrina

"More isn't always better, Linus. Sometimes it's just more." 😬

Mary had a recipe for Sausage Meatballs. I had a package of bulk sausage meat (intended for another recipe, but I hadn't gotten there yet), and thought about it.
 
Sausage, Lentils, Meatballs, Spaghetti, Sauce
Sausage & Lentil Meatballs with Spaghetti and Sauce

I thought for a while, and then recalled that I had just been saying I needed to get back to more lentil type things in our diet, since we've been a bit lax on the regimen since the holidays. And I wondered to myself how it would turn out to use cooked and mashed lentils mixed with the sausage meat? Interestingly, this was one idea that most online searches did not come up with. There were "meatballs" made vegetarian, using only lentils. That was not my plan though, so my main concern was how would the meatballs cook up, if mixed with lentils. So I just forged ahead and made them, adding in things here and there that I felt would enhance flavor. I was also concerned about the cooking part. 

I have always liked forming my meatballs and dropping them into boiling, salted water, just long enough that they start to float a bit. Then I take them out of the water and either fry them or bake them, but in this way, their round shape holds true. I never like to try and fry or bake raw meatballs right off the bat, because they end up with flat sides here and there. Would these half-lentil meatballs hold up in the boiling water?

Why yes, in fact they would. 

Sausage, Lentils, Meatballs, Spaghetti Sauce
Sausage & Lentil Meatballs with Spaghetti and Sauce
This was refreshing and made me feel much better about all of it. I went on to bake them afterwards, to finish cooking and give them some color. Since I don't care for the mess of making meatballs generally, I always try to make large batches, so I can freeze them until needed. Since I weighed the finished mixture and had 2½ pounds of it, this was wonderful news. Now I have some spare bags of meatballs in the freezer for another day.

In the meantime, how did they come out? 

Well, except for the fact that I totally wasn't thinking about the fact that pork sausage comes seasoned - with salt - I had added salt enough for the whole mixture. They were salty! I compensated by not adding much salt to the tomato sauce and no salt at all to the pasta cooking water. This way it worked. But for the recipe I am placing here, don't worry, that will be no problem. I also used some mushroom powder in the meatballs. I have dried shiitakes, and I place a few into a spice grinder and pulverize them to a fine powder, discarding any large bits (read stems) that will not process down. I keep some of this powder on hand for things that might benefit from a flavor boost, like gravy, for example. If you do not have mushroom powder, no problem, just leave it out. I had it. I used it.

To continue with the fiber and better carbs theme, I made my own spaghetti with my pasta machine. I used whole Kamut grain, ground fine in my electric grain grinder, so it is the whole grain fiber goodness, and Kamut is particularly "blonde" in color, so the pasta comes out the prettiest golden color, with no off flavors one expects from whole grain wheat, even though it is, albeit an ancient form of it. 

Sausage & Lentil Meatballs

Sausage, Lentils, Meatballs, recipe
Sausage & Lentil Meatballs just baked

Made 54 one-tablespoon sized meatballs

1 cup brown lentils
2½ cups water for cooking lentils
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced 
1 pound pork sausage meat
1 cup shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon mushroom powder, optional

2 teaspoons dried sage leaves, crumbled
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed

1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place the lentils and water into a saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 30 to 35 minutes, until the lentils are completely soft. Once soft, drain off any water remaining and allow them to dry out a bit before mashing. I used a potato masher. Set aside to cool

In a skillet heated over very low heat, cook the onions with ½-teaspoon of the salt in the olive oil for about 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. They will turn golden very slowly and become very sweet. Add in the minced garlic and cook slowly for a few minutes more, just to cook out the raw taste. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, place in a mixing bowl the sausage meat with the shredded cheese, eggs, mushroom powder, fennel, sage and remaining ½-teaspoon salt. Add in the cooled mashed lentils and the onion and garlic mixture. Mix well with spoon or (preferably) hands to distribute the ingredients evenly. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Set a pot of water to boil. Scoop out meatballs with a tablespoon measure and form into neat balls. Gently drop about 10 at a time into the boiling water, allowing them to form up. They will not float completely, but just begin bobbing a bit. Remove them to a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with the remainder of the mixture. Once all the meatballs are on the baking sheet, bake them in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned. 

Use the meatballs in your favorite recipe. If you choose to freeze for later, place the cooled meatballs in a freezer zip-top bag and use within 4 months. 


My passion is teaching people how to create a harmony of flavors with their cooking, and passing along my love and joy of food, both simple or exotic, plain or fancy. I continue my journey in ethnic and domestic cuisines, continuing my journey to explore diverse culinary experiences and hopefully to start you on a journey of your own. Join me also at A Harmony of Flavors on Facebook, and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus