Translate

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Life is Short - Eat Dessert First

Maybe we shouldn't eat dessert first.  Maybe that would just eliminate the desire for more nutritional vegetables and fruits.  But boy, dessert is good!

I think desserts are my favorite part of any meal, and I am one of those people who do not feel a meal is over until something sweet is eaten.  Desserts have always been a very large part of my life, and while I am a good cook, baking is my real passion.

Simple Shortbread
Last evening, I made a repeat of the Cabbage Rolls, because I guess was craving them when my daughter and I made them and I just didn't get my fill. I made plenty of the Cabbage Rolls to freeze for another day.  I may not have mentioned that in the recipe, but they do freeze well. I had my sister-in-law come over to share, and we feasted.

As it neared the dinner hour, I thought, "I should make something for dessert!"  What popped into my mind was my Simple Shortbread recipe, because as the name implies, it is a really simple recipe!  Simple, however, does not mean "mediocre!" This shortbread is so deliciously yummy, it's hard to stop eating. It takes minutes to prepare, and 40 minutes in a slow oven, for a delicate, crumbly and melt-in-your-mouth treat. This is one place my tip about cold butter came in handy. just use a large-holed grater and shred the cold butter. Pour the sugar over and cream or do whatever the recipe calls for.

Simple Shortbread


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cornstarch
pinch salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup confectioner's sugar


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Sift flour, cornstarch and salt into a medium sized bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioner's sugar with an electric mixer or a wooden spoon until light and fluffy.   With a wooden spoon gradually work in dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed (a pastry cutter works great, here); it will be all crumbly textured.  Gently press dough into an ungreased, shallow 11 x 7" or 9" square pan. Bake about 40 minutes or until golden. Cut into about 12 squares or bars.  Enjoy!


My passion is to teach people how to create a harmony of flavors with their cooking, and help pass along my love and joy of food, both simple and exotic, plain or fancy. I continue my journey in ethnic and domestic cuisines, trying new things weekly. Join me at A Harmony of Flavors on Facebook and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus