Translate

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Green Masala as a Marinade

I have been sort of laying low these last few days. Getting caught up on other things around the house. Going to the dentist - again. We had leftovers so I hadn't cooked anything new. Yesterday though, I had to think of something for dinner. I had a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the freezer so I got those out in the morning with no real thought of what to do with them. In the back of my mind I did have the thought that if nothing else occurred to me, I would use the marinade I used for the Grilled Pork with Indian Spices, as it is great with pork, chicken or turkey. It is such an easy marinade, using things I almost always have on hand and it is invariably fantastically flavored.
Green Masala, Grilling, Chicken, recipe, main dish
Green Masala Grilled Chicken


So, after spending my day working on the computer doing graphics work for my husband's place of business, I came downstairs still not having made any decision on what to do with the chicken. I opened the fridge and the first thing I saw was the jar of Green Masala I had made just a few days back. While I was sitting in the dentist office the other day, while waiting for the dentist I was talking about food to the dental assistant. I described this Green Masala and how good it is, and all the things it can be used for. I was telling her about how it can be used as a marinade or a sauce, or both, for chicken, fish, pork, beef or just vegetables, as I had done with the cauliflower last weekend. It can be spread into sandwiches. It can be used for flavoring already cooked vegetables too, and not only as a marinade to grill them. It would really brighten up plain cooked cauliflower, though it was marvelous as a marinade on the Grilled Cauliflower. The light bulb went on and ta-da! I had a recipe idea for the chicken.
Pasta Salad
Pasta Salad

When I have a recipe with such great flavors as the Grilled Pork (Chicken/Turkey) with Indian Spices, I usually cut the meat into thinner strips so there is more marinade per square inch of meat. I want it to get all the flavor it possibly can. I did this same thing last night. I cut the chicken breasts into two pieces, sort of across the grain but still more lengthwise. My goal was to have long, but narrower strips. I think this would be excellent for making skewers also, either using the chicken breast meat cut into thick chunks or slicing the chicken into thin strips and "weaving" them back and forth onto soaked bamboo skewers as for Satay and grilling. 


I had less than half of the Green Masala left from the recipe, as I have been putting it on everything! So, using it for the chicken marinade I thought it would be good to use a little less, adding in more oil, vinegar, turmeric and garam masala. This would leave enough of the Green Masala to use for sauce at the table as well as the marinade. This would have been wonderful served with rice as a side dish, but I had a little Pasta Salad leftover and my husband ate that as his side. I also had some of my Tropical Slaw leftover and I had that with mine. All I can say is that the chicken was wonderful. If you take the time to make the Green Masala, do try making the chicken this way. Boneless chicken thighs could be used if that is your preference. Whole chicken on the bone can be made as well, though I prefer to make things more quickly when possible.


Green Masala Grilled Chicken

Green Masala, Grilling, Chicken, recipe, main dish
Green Masala Grilled Chicken

Serves 3 or 4

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup Green Masala
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon Garam Masala
1 teaspoon salt

Cut the chicken breasts lengthwise, making 2 longer, narrower strips. In a zip-top baggie, combine the remaining ingredients and place the chicken into the marinade. Seal the bag and move the chicken pieces around so all are well coated with the marinade. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 1 hour; 2 hours is preferable. If the chicken is still partially frozen (as was mine) leave it to marinate on the counter; otherwise, in the fridge.

Heat a grill. Remove the chicken from the marinade and set them onto the grill over not too high a heat. Allow the chicken to cook to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Timing will depend on the thickness of the meat. Pass more Green Masala for serving.

NOTE: If desired, cut the chicken into 1 1/2 inch cubes and lace them onto skewers, alternating with squares of red or green bell pepper. Alternatively, while the chicken is still mostly frozen, slice into thin strips and lace them onto soaked wooden skewers.


 

https://aharmonyofflavors.blogspot.com/2014/03/a-conundrum-with-samosas.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus