Translate

Saturday, December 1, 2018

Try These Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies

It has been a while since I have managed to get back to my blog. November was an exceedingly busy month, for me. And now we are into December, and it will get even busier, so before things really go crazy, I did want to post this recipe I started back in late October!
 
Pumpkin, Sandwich Cookies, Marshmallow Creme
Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies with Marshmallow Creme

I had a lovely, Soft Pumpkin Cookie recipe I'd been using for years and finally got posted, but then I got thinking, "What about a Pumpkin Sandwich Cookie?" I couldn't recall ever seeing such a thing, so I started thinking about how could I make a slightly more crisp cookie, using a moist vegetable like squash? I did see a lot of recipes for "Pumpkin Spice Cookies," but these were nothing more than spice cookies, using the usual spices used when making a pumpkin pie. Beware, because there is no pumpkin or squash in those recipes at all. They are just spice cookies! 

Next, I went looking for other cookies I had made that would work as a sandwich. Then, comparing and reworking, to try and get the recipe to come out with a cookie at least crisp enough to hold shape when sandwiching. I didn't want domed cookies that would make the final sandwich look like a ball, because I did see some made that way online. They are probably delicious, but not at all what I wanted for my outcome. 

The amount of actual pumpkin/squash in the recipe would have to be fairly low, or else the cookies would be far too soft. Not enough pumpkin/squash and you have no flavor at all. A fine balancing act, to be sure.

And then of course: what to fill the cookies with? How would they stand up to being filled. When you bite, would all the filling just squeeze out? For my first attempt, I used a cream cheese frosting, flavored with pumpkin pie spice. The mixture was far too soft. It did literally flatten, on taking a bite, leaving all the filling falling out around the edges. Not at all good. And then I saw a suggestion somewhere for using Marshmallow Fluff. Hmmm. So then I went hunting for Marshmallow Fluff recipes, and it turned out to be not too difficult at all, so I compared a few recipes and went my own way, slightly on the low side of sweetness levels. The Marshmallow Creme recipe came together easily. The most difficult thing about the recipe was trying to put it into jars or containers once made! It can be made ahead of time, if needed.

Marshmallow Creme, making, recipe
Marshmallow Creme

Marshmallow Creme


Makes about 2 pints

3 large egg whites (4 fl.oz. / 114 grams)
½ teaspoon cream of tartar (0.05 oz./1 gram)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar (1 oz./30 grams)
-----
⅔ cup granulated sugar (5.2 oz./148 grams)
⅓ cup water (3 fl.oz./88 grams)
¾ cup golden syrup (9.3 oz./265 grams)
-----
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon caramel flavoring, optional

Place the egg whites and cream of tartar into the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until very foamy. Slowly add in the 2 tablespoons of sugar and beat to soft peaks.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the ⅔ cup granulated sugar, the water and the golden syrup (or substitute dark corn syrup, honey, or a combination of these two). Stir until the granulated sugar is dissolved, then bring to boil without stirring and using a candy thermometer, bring the syrup to 240 degrees F. 

Immediately remove from heat and re-start the whisking of the egg whites in the mixer bowl on medium high speed. Begin pouring the hot syrup carefully just down the side of the bowl, being very careful not to let the syrup hit the whisk attachment. Beat until all the syrup has been added, then continue to beat for an additional 7 to 8 minutes, until cooled. Beat in the flavorings. The marshmallow creme can be stored at room temperature for three days or in the fridge, well covered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to the Cookies. When I made this batch of cookies, it was my second batch, having first made them filled with a cream cheese icing, unsuccessfully. This time, I opted to cut them out with a fluted-edge cutter, and then I poked little holes in the centers using a two-tined pickle fork. Remember when making these, that they will be sandwiched, so there will ultimately be half the amount of finished cookies than the original amount of single wafers.

Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies


Made 94 wafer cookies / 47 sandwich cookies 
Pumpkin, Sandwich Cookies, Marshmallow Creme
Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies with Marshmallow Creme


1 cup butter, at room temperature
½ cup light brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup pumpkin puree
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice 
½ teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Add in the yolks and beat until incorporated. Add the vanilla extract and pumpkin puree and beat in. Combine the dry ingredients, then on very low speed, add to the creamed mixture, slowly, until all the flour is well mixed in. Flour a surface and roll out the dough rather thinly, about ⅛-inch thick. Cut out 2 or 2½-inch diameter cookies and bake them on ungreased cookie sheets for 14 to 16 minutes, or until set and just barely golden. Remove from cookie sheets immediately, to a rack or clean surface to cool completely before filling.  

Baked cookies, Cookies, filling cookies, sandwich
Baked Cookies and Filling them
Set one cookie top side down and pipe or spoon on the filling, then top with another wafer right side up.


My passion is teaching people how to create a harmony of flavors with their cooking, and passing along my love and joy of food, both simple or exotic, plain or fancy. I continue my journey in ethnic and domestic cuisines, continuing my journey to explore diverse culinary experiences and hopefully to start you on a journey of your own. Join me also at A Harmony of Flavors on Facebook, and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus