Translate

Sunday, October 13, 2019

Who Loves Breakfast

I love breakfast. The first meal of the day. Most days I eat oatmeal, just because I love it. Weekends, we have eggs. But sometimes, you know, I just have to make other things. One weekend favorite is scones. My husband has come to love scones, where once he wouldn't touch them. So now, he looks forward to them, whenever I do make them. Another thing I sometimes make of a weekend is a sauce I use to go over our eggs. It is something I came up with long ago, while living in Guatemala, though it is not a Guatemalan recipe at all. Biscuits used to be my favorite of breakfast breads, but now the scones have supplanted them as "favorite." I do still make biscuits, on occasion. 

I have written about the grain mill my husband got for me. I use it so often, it takes no thought at all to come up with new grain mixtures for breads of any kind, including scones or muffins. Recently, I have made a recipe three times, altering it slightly each time, but I believe the third time was the charm. All of the tests were great. However, the first time, I used maple flavoring plus some leftover "Maple Flav'r'Bites that once upon a time King Arthur Flour carried. Sadly, those and the Cinnamon Flav'r'Bites have been discontinued, though they were some of my most favorite things to put in my scones. So, now that they don't exist anymore, obviously I couldn't put a recipe out that calls for them, so I went on to round two. This time, I made a mistake in which seed I was grinding for the flour, so while they were great, I had really wanted to have teff and amaranth, some of the tiniest seeds available. So, on to round three, and this time, I used some tried and true additions to the scones (white chocolate chips and craisins) and they were perfect. 

I did use rye as part of the mixture. Teff and amaranth are certainly not on everyone's pantry shelves either, I realize. This recipe is going to appeal only to those ad diversified in their tastes as I am. So, if rye flour is not in your pantry either, well..... 

Teff Amaranth Scones 

Teff, Amaranth, Scones
Teff Amaranth Scones

Makes 8 scones

  • 2 tablespoons whole teff, ground (or ¼ cup ground teff / 0.9 oz / 24 grams)
  • 2 tablespoons whole amaranth, ground (or ¼ cup ground teff / 0.9 oz / 24 grams) 
  • 2 tablespoons whole rye grains, ground (or ¼ cup ground teff / 0.9 oz / 24 grams)
  • 1½ cups all-purpose flour (6.2 ounces / 175 grams)
  • ¼ cup brown sugar (1.45 ounces / 42 grams)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder (0.4 ounces / 11 grams)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (0.2 ounces / 6 grams)
  • 5 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter (2.1 ounces / 60 grams)
  • ½ cup white baking chips
  • ½ cup dried cranberries/craisins
  • ¾ cup heavy cream (6 ounces / 180 ml)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment, set aside.

In a bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Cut in the butter as for pie dough, or (if your hands are cool, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until no large pieces remain. Add in the white baking chips and stir. Pour in the cream and with a fork, quickly toss the wet into the dry until it begins to come together. With hands, bring the mixture to a ball. If too dry, add a little more cream, one tablespoon at a time, until all the dry ingredients come together. If it is too wet, add 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour at a time, until the mixture will hold together.

Turn the dough out onto a clean surface (no more flour should be needed) and pat into an 8-inch diameter round. Cut across the dough 4 times, to make 8 wedge-shaped scones. Set them, at least an inch apart, on the parchment lined sheet. Bake the scones for approximately 16 minutes, or until they are golden and spring back when lightly pressed. 

NOTES: The photo shows my second attempt, where I used caramel bits in the scones. I do not advise this, unless you have strong teeth! Caramel chips, would be better, if going for that flavor. The white baking chips and craisins can be substituted with nuts of your choice and whatever you like in your scones. Just keep the amounts of flavor additions to a cup, or less.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

That sauce to go over eggs that I mentioned? While I haven't made it in a while, when I do, we both love it so much. I have been making this for going on 50 years now. It is a tomato and bacon mixture, and goes together fairly quickly - while getting other things ready for breakfast, I let it simmer to the side. The photo I am showing here shows my omelet. I happen to be one of those people who love cilantro. I generally make my omelet with as much cilantro chopped into the eggs as the eggs can hold! One might say that I use the eggs as a binder to my cilantro. So, don't be shocked at my omelet, okay?

Tomato Bacon Salsa for Eggs


Makes enough for 4  servings
Tomato, Bacon, coked salsa, Eggs, condiment
Tomato Bacon Salsa for Eggs
  • 2 slices thick-sliced bacon (or 3 - 4 slices of thin sliced), cut into ¼-inch wide strips
  • 1 small white onion, finely chopped
  • 1 - 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced finely
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 4 Roma tomatoes, cut into small bits
  • ½ cup tomato ketchup
  • a few grinds of fresh black pepper
  • ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste

Place the bacon into a cold skillet and turn heat to medium. Cook the bacon to your taste, then drain on paper toweling and set aside. Drain off all but 1 - 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the pan, then add in the onion, sauteeing until tender and light golden. Add in the garlic and green pepper and cook about 10 minutes more, until soft. Add in the tomatoes and simmer until the tomatoes have broken down. Return the bacon to the skillet with the ketchup, salt and pepper and simmer just meld flavors. Serve over eggs, any style.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Biscuits are so good. I have always loved biscuits. My husband is not so keen on them though, so I do not make them so often.  These are made based similarly to the basic recipe for scones, and they come out just beautifully. They can be made either cut out or patted into a rectangle and simply cut into squares.

Perfect Biscuits


Makes about twelve 2½-inch diameter biscuits
Perfect Biscuits
Perfect Biscuits

  • 2¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold, unsalted butter
  • ¾ cup (6-ounces) heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Have ready a baking sheet. Line with parchment for easy cleanup, though this is not necessary.

In a mixing bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients and stir. Cut in the butter, as for pie dough, until only very small bits can be seen. In a small bowl, stir together the cream and sour cream, then pour into the mixing bowl and with a fork, toss the mixture until it comes together. Turn out onto a clean surface and pat out to about ½ - ⅝-inch thickness. If cutting with a biscuit cutter, cut out as many as possible, setting them onto the baking sheet, at least ½-inch apart. Gather the scraps without working them and pat out once more, cutting more biscuits as possible. Bake the biscuits for about 15 minutes, or until puffed and beautifully golden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, as I love my scones, I am going to put one more recipe here! These are some oldies. I haven't made these for years now, but they were certainly delicious, and worthy of a place on the breakfast table!


Brown Sugar & Oat Bran Scones

Brown Sugar, Oat Bran, Scones
Brown Sugar & Oat Bran Scones

Makes 8 scones

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ¾ cup cake flour
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons oat bran
  • 2½ teaspoons baking powder 
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground mahlab, optional
  • 1 stick cold unsalted butter
  • ¾ cup chopped walnuts
  • ¾ cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment, to save on cleanup afterwards.


Place the first 8 ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir. Add in the butter and cut in with a pastry cutter or hands, if they are cool. Once butter is incorporated, stir in the walnuts, then add the buttermilk and stir with a fork until the mixture begins to come together in a single mass.

Turn the dough out onto a clean surface and pat together into an 8-inch diameter round. With a long knife, slice the dough across four separate times, to form 8 scone wedges. Set the wedges onto the lined baking sheet at least one-inch apart, then bake on a middle rack for about 16 minutes. Watch carefully; ovens vary.



My passion is teaching people how to create a harmony of flavors with their cooking, and passing along my love and joy of food, both simple or exotic, plain or fancy. I continue my journey in ethnic and domestic cuisines, continuing my journey to explore diverse culinary experiences and hopefully to start you on a journey of your own. Join me also at A Harmony of Flavors on Facebook, and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus