Translate

Friday, December 21, 2012

More Cookies for Christmas


Bourbon Balls
I am in full cookie-making mode. Yesterday I iced the Rolled Butter Cookies I had made the day before. Then I moved on to mixing up Gingerbread Cookie dough to chill. I made Cherry Bon Bons and Bourbon Balls. This morning I began by cooking dried apricots into the filling mixture for my Kifli. After setting that aside to cool, I started making gingerbread men. 

My friend here in town gave me the recipe for her gingerbread last year after I tasted her cookies. They were really delicious so I wanted to make some this year. I am planning to make some Royal Icing tomorrow and decorate them simply. The recipe made a lot of cookies - about 16 dozen little 3 inch men.


Rolled Gingerbread Cookies

Gingerbread Cookies
5 cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup molasses
2 tablespoons vinegar


Sift together flour, soda, spices and salt; set aside. In a larger bowl place shortening and beat for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat till fluffy. Add egg, molasses and vinegar and beat well.  Add in dry ingredients and mix well. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours, or overnight.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheets. Divide dough in thirds. On a lightly floured surface, roll each third of the dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Keep remainder of dough chilled until ready to use. Cut rolled dough in desired shapes and place 1 inch apart on the cookie sheets. Bake for about 5 - 6 minutes. Cool for one minute, then remove to a rack to finish cooling. Makes about 60 cookies, depending on size. May be iced as desired.


After icing these little guys, I will take some photos to share. After I finished up with the gingerbread men, I cleaned up that mess and got started making the Kifli. I had a jar of Lekvar, or Prune Filling already in my pantry, but making it is just as easy. I got the dough made, rolled, filled and baked.

I am tired, but well-pleased. I hope your cookie baking is going as well as mine! Merry Yule, on this longest night of the year.

My passion is to teach people how to create a harmony of flavors with their cooking, and help pass along my love and joy of food, both simple and exotic, plain or fancy. I continue my journey in ethnic and domestic cuisines, trying new things weekly. Join me at A Harmony of Flavors on Facebook and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus