Translate

Monday, March 18, 2013

A Little Trip Down Memory Lane - Cinnamon Twists

When I was little - a LONG time ago - Mom used to occasionally make Cinnamon Twists. In short, these were made from her bread dough. Mom made some fantastic bread anyway, and making the Cinnamon Twists was a treat once in a while. I remember once our grade school was having a bake sale, and these were what I asked Mom to make. They were the first things that sold out!
bread dough, yeast dough, pastry, cinnamon
Finished Cinnamon Twists
I had not thought of these for a very long time. I happened to see some pictures out on the 'net and it sparked the memory. I make all of our bread anyway, and I make Mom's bread recipe regularly. It makes such fantastic sandwiches or toast. So the other day I was making bread anyway and set aside a loaf worth of the dough to make these Cinnamon Twists. They are easy enough, though I am sure that I made the cinnamon mixture differently than Mom did. I mixed up some room temperature butter with sugar and cinnamon into a paste. I rolled out the dough to at least 2 feet wide by about 12 - 14 inches. I had one long end closest to me and spread the cinnamon mixture over that long half of the dough. I folded the top half of the dough down over the cinnamon mixture, making about a 7-inch by 24 inch piece. Using a bench scraper, I cut the strips. 

making cinnamon twists, cutting stripe, twisting doughcinnamon twists, bread dough, pastry, yeast doughI prepared 2 baking sheets by spraying lightly with cooking spray. Each strip of the folded dough was twisted twice around, and placed about a dozen to a baking sheet. The twists were set aside to rise until nicely puffed, and then baked at 350 for about 12 to 15 minutes. I made a confectioners' sugar glaze and drizzled that over the top of the pastries and let them dry. And voila! Beautiful Cinnamon Twists. They are so good, we just devoured them.

Ah, memories.....




My passion is teaching people how to create a harmony of flavors with their cooking, and passing along my love and joy of food, both simple or exotic, plain or fancy. I continue my journey in ethnic and domestic cuisines, continuing my journey to explore diverse culinary experiences and hopefully to start you on a journey of your own. Join me also at A Harmony of Flavors on Facebook, and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus